Recovery from eating disorders for Every Body.
As a leader driving change, Body Brave is a charity providing accessible eating disorder treatment and support, as well as advancing community training and education.
OUR CORE BELIEFS:
- We believe that inclusion and diversity are essential
- We believe that it’s not always easy – and we’ll get through it together
- We believe that recovery is a shared responsibility
- We believe in meeting people where they’re at and that everyone’s experience is valid
- We believe that eating disorders are a public health crisis
Body Brave was founded by mother-daughter duo Sonia Kumar-Seguin and Dr. Karen Trollope. In her late teens and early twenties, Sonia struggled with a severe eating disorder. Karen and Sonia quickly discovered the immense barriers that exist for those navigating the healthcare system in search of help. Everything from stigma, long-waitlists, lack of healthcare provider support and training as well as a lack of eating disorder awareness or funding. The families of those who suffer are also often left in the dark, without coping tools or concrete information.
Sonia was lucky enough to able to access treatment and finally recover, however, she lost almost a decade of her life. Sonia and Karen decided to found Body Brave in hopes that no one would have to go through what they did. They soon found that their experiences were not unique. The Body Brave community has grown quickly and is a thriving beacon of hope for people struggling with eating disorders as well as their families and friends.